An Open Letter to Dr. Justine Lee


If having the title "Crazy Cat Lady" would give me the ability to play the guitar like Eddie Van Halen, I'd be okay with it.

Dr. Lee had a blog post about caring for animals who have been struck by motor vehicles. This post was terrific, except for the fact that Dr. Lee seemed to feel the need to reinforce her belief that anyone "who possesses more than six cats has crossed the line into crazy cat lady territory." 

I am in full agreement about being a careful pet owner and insuring that the animals do not get struck by cars. Many are killed this way. But I am not keen on your "crazy cat lady" stereotype comment. First of all, it isn't only women who end up with too many animals. Second, sometimes circumstances may end a person up with one or two "too many." They may inherit one from an elderly relative who passes away, for instance. I did at one point have seven cats when my ex husband moved to another state and I ended up with his cat. When he moved back, I returned his cat and allowed him to take another that I had gotten shortly before he left--not because I didn't love her, but because my calico cat was terrorizing her. At this point I am holding at five. I do struggle with hoarding items though I have always been careful to not hoard animals because I do care about them. Thus, for someone like me who does have a struggle of this nature, your cavalier comment is very hurtful. I realize that it must be wonderful to be among the beautiful people who do not have a struggle with mental illness, but not everyone is so lucky. I wish that "normals" would think before they apply hurtful stereotypes. I usually enjoy reading your blog but I am not thrilled when I see people using stigmatizing commentary of this nature.

Comments