Pet Names

The Pet MD blog wanted to know why people chose the names they did for their pets. Here's why mine got the names they have.
There are two dachshunds. One is Cujo because it seemed like fun to name a dachshund Cujo. His half-sister is Mia because at the time my son was playing soccer, and he liked Mia Hamm.
Our oldest cat is Isis, simply because my son liked the name. The two nine-year-old brothers are Leon and Raymond, Leon for the late Leon Wilkeson of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Raymond for Raymond Bourque, a favorite hockey player.
Five year old Trinity is a calico. She has three colors, so Trinity made sense.
Recent rescues Tara and Lafayette were named for our favorite characters on True Blood, the cousins. I had gone in to adopt the little charcoal colored male cat that I had been virtually fostering on Facebook, and the little female in the cage below kept tapping at my hand, so I ended up adopting them both. His name would have been Midnight (or perhaps Mischief, once I got to know him) if Tara hadn't put herself in the mix!
Our last rescue for a while is Anna, which is what she had been named by her foster family, so I kept it. Interestingly, I was reading Anna Karenina at the time.
I didn't mention this on the Pet MD blog but my late bunny Daria was so named for Daria from the MTV cartoon. Her little mate Trent, who died only a year after we adopted them, was named for Daria's crush on the program.

Comments