Overwhelmed Helper--or Hoarder?
This was a response to a commenter named Kay on this article.
Here is what Kay said:
If you can care for the needs and medical etc, also have a large home and a large fenced yard. The word hoarder or hoarding, Hack this old girl off. Whats going on ....OK...there are some who went over-board, Now this is true. But do not lump us togather. My Pet Kids come from homes of people who love them. Some have lost thier homes or had to go to Nursing Homes. No one can tell me what I can or can not do. Looks like a few are trying to control other peoples lives. This still the USA. Thank-you Doctor Khuly for giving us a voice.
Here is my response:
I agree with you, Kay. There are some who are "collectors," but I think those are actually rare. I once knew a very kind woman who had taken in 25 stray cats. She was overwhelmed. What she needed was help, but she was afraid to get it because she was afraid of public agencies invading her home, shaming her, taking her friends from her.
Yes, there are horror stories where people have unaltered animals in their home that continue to breed, and when the authorities remove the animals they find many sick and dead ones. These shocking cases are the ones that make good drama for the TV. I don't think that this is the case with most so called hoarders. I think that there are far more like my friend who wanted to help the stray cats and became overwhelmed.
Comments