brujahinaskirt: feeltheberd: im crying This is one of the most...




im crying
This is one of the most important posts I’ve seen today.
My mom and my aunt both lived through similar abuse situations. “I hate your animal” eventually led to secret animal abuse, which eventually led to open destruction and abuse of all things that “belonged” to them, which ultimately escalated to their (ex)husbands beating them.
IMO, don’t ever let someone into your life who hates your pets. I don’t mean casually dislikes them, is grossed out by them, or feels annoyed by them. Someone who genuinely hates and feels threatened by an animal companion has serious issues, likely with control and jealousy – not issues you want to tangle with in your home, and key signs of a potential domestic abuser.
Reasonable people and people who love you will privately deal with their dislike for your beloved pets, if for no other reason than because your pets are so important to you. They may never grow to love them like you do, and they may never enjoy spending time with them, but they will accept them as a non-negotiable part of your life and won’t constantly guilt you for loving a dog/cat/pig/bird/horse/lizard/whatever.
(As a side note: I realized my best friend was the One Ultimate Bestie Real Deal Cosmic Sister not because she loves cats as much as I do. On the contrary, it was because – despite her avowed and dramatic “hatred” for all things feline – she always asks how my furball is doing, worries about him when he’s ill, and sends me cat jokes that remind her of him. Once she even brought along a feather she found on the way to my place because “it looked like something the Fat One would enjoy destroying.”)
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/2Z6atxh
via IFTTT
Comments