Introducing Cat and Baby
My youngest daughter (age 17) subscribes to this young lady's channel and had showed me one of her other videos. This one came up in the side bar. It's such a different world today. Admissibly, the young woman in the video is very good in front of the camera. I can't imagine sharing my life with such ease. I think a video from me would be incredibly boring. "Hi, I'm Seth. I'm a really boring middle-aged guy. I'm...typing something. Now I'm going to go to the refrigerator for a snack and then I'll watch some TV." My channel would be a good cure for insomnia!
She does a good job of letting the cat take its time getting used to the baby and reassuring the cat. A lot of cats end up in the shelter because their people are un-educated about how a cat may react to a new baby. A baby is a whole different animal than an adult human or a teenager! The cat may be scared of the baby. People shouldn't force the cat to befriend the baby immediately or think the cat is bad if it is standoffish or scared.
My family has always been a cat family. The cats we had at the time reacted with varying degrees of warmth to our daughters as they were brought home over the years. (We have three daughters.) They always warmed up to them and usually it didn't take too long. One of them became Big Mama to our eldest daughter as well as to her own litter of kittens, and they were the greatest of friends until Big Mama passed at age 19.
A few tears now. Big Mama was really the cat's name. She was a lovely, big cat with a pattern similar to the one in the video. I have since learned that this type of cat is called a Maine Coon cat, and they do tend to get pretty large. We rescued her when she was still just a kitten herself, probably only about six months old, pregnant with no home. At the time, my wife was four months pregnant too, so we were going to have a house full of babies in not too long!
We ended up keeping all six kittens too because we just couldn't give them up. At one point we were a house with eight cats. We got them all fixed and kept them indoors. There are only two left now. That's the tough thing about pets is watching them grow old and die. Our oldest took it especially hard when Big Mama died, as they had been together from the start.
We also ended up with five little dogs along the way, starting when we got a house with a bigger yard when our oldest girl was eight. There are three of them left now. The Corgi became particularly attached to me. We are graying old men together. I know I will outlive him unless I get run over by a truck or something. I dread the day when it comes that he is gone.
I wish that every pet would find a home as loving as the one that my family or the family in the video has given their pets.
Wishing you a peaceful day,
Seth


Comments
Only kidding. Thank you for sharing your lovely story. You're a great guy and there should be more like you. Hugs!
I love your kindness towards animals--and your honest style of writing. And you.