Minor miracle

But it doesn't feel so minor!

Took dogs on a 30 minute walk this morning and a 45 minute walk this evening. I had actually watched the Dog Whisperer for the first time yesterday. I tried some of his techniques and some struggles I've had with these mutts since I got them actually disappeared!

Rather than yelling at them when they tried to get on my lap while driving, I used the technique of gently but firmly grabbing the scruff area while using a sharp "shhh!" sound and pressing down slightly to lower them into a position of submission. They tried a few times but finally ceased. Yelling at them never worked--this did.

I also stopped letting my dogs walk me. As Cesar Milan says, if I am to be seen as the leader of the pack, I have to be in the lead. I hold them closer in until they are walking behind me and then let out on the leash a little.

This isn't being cruel to the dogs, it is simply establishing order, which makes life easier for all of us.

I hope I can remain consistent in our walking schedule. With my work schedule I sometimes get extremely tired and sometimes my illness sidelines me. Trying to learn the coping skills. Maybe I can train myself too.

Comments