Pe.--farewell to an old friend
























PE. watches as Aubvey and Pansi get ready for a show
I have to take my old cat P.E. and have him put to sleep tomorrow. His kidneys have been failing for quite a while. He can't swallow any more. I no longer think the gristle he ate has anything to do with it. That was just his last hurrah to steal the chicken leg off my plate and gorge himself before I got to him and took it away. Maybe because of his system failure he couldn't digest it properly. We got P.E. when my son was 2 years old. The vet didn't expect him to live because his liver wasn't working properly. I let him eat as much as he wanted to absorb calories. He became big and fat. He was fat until a couple of years ago when he apparently got bitten by a recluse spider and ended up losing a lot of the cartilage in his back legs. He was still doing ok though. Then it became apparent that his kidneys are failing. He was drinking a lot and peeing a lot. There is really nothing you can do for a cat with kidney failure, its just a matter of time. And P.E.'s time has come. He is miserable right now.

Comments

Hobbes said…
I'm sorry, Cie.
Thanks, Hobbes.
I can't help but hope for a miracle when I look at him, but nothing changes. If anything he feels worse. It's just time. It really isn't a bad thing, just a sad thing.
The Lazy Iguana said…
I had two cats go from kidney failure and general old age. I would give them these little pink pills but they only work for so long.

Sorry about your cat. I know what it is like. Non cat owners just do not get it.
Iguana,
Thanks, I do appreciate it. I had this dude for so long and it seemed I was always cussing him out for getting into things--especially for getting up on the couch if I was eating breakfast/dinner/whatever it is while watching TV before going to sleep--and trying to steal the food off my plate! I already miss that!
TLP said…
I'm really, really sorry. Your kitty was an apple head like my grandcat Chatham. (3D's older cat.)

After my own last cat died, I kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye...they get under your skin for sure.