A to Z Blogging Challenge: D is for Dog


A to Z Blogging Challenge
D is for Dog
by
Spectra Ghostseeker

Like humans, some dogs use profanity

Only kidding, but I'm sure you've walked by a yard where a snarling dog races up to the fence, and you've said "oh shit," because you know you'd be screwed if it ever got out.

Some dogs like having their milk bones served from a Pez dispenser.
I don't know if you can actually get a dispenser like this, and I don't remember where I found this picture.

Thanks to the rabies vaccine, not many dogs get rabies in first world countries. 
If you have an animal that goes outside at all, it is particularly important to get him/her the rabies vaccine.
The reason why people are vaccinated for rabies after the fact is because it is rare for people to be in situations where they might be exposed to the disease. 

Nerd Moment: Because of the fact that there is a vaccine for rabies, I think I would have grabbed a weapon and started whaling on Cujo before things got as bad as they did. But who knows? I hope I'm never stuck in a car with a four year old kid on a burning hot day when there's a rabid dog sitting outside.

Personal Trivia: I'm actually scared of large dogs. But I try to give them a fair shake.

The Animal Anarchy page shares dogs of all sizes (cats too) who are in need of homes.
We also stand against BSL (Breed Specific Legislation). We stand against puppy and kitten mills, and are in favor of TNR (trap-neuter-release) programs for feral animals.

I'm not sure what sort of dog this is. But it appears to have a bucolic temperament.

If you're in need of a dog, don't go looking for your dog in all the wrong places. Adopt, don't shop! There are many dogs at shelters and rescue organizations in need of homes!

Cats and dogs can be friends. When adopting, ask a lot of questions. If you have a cat and want to get a dog, find out if the dog is good with cats.

Fostering is another great way to help animals. A fostered animal will receive the socialization skills that it needs, and it will be happier and less nervous, and thus more likely to find a permanent home. 

Patience and time are required if you want to bring a dog into your life. Dogs need regular exercise. They need to be taken out to do their business several times a day. If you have a chaotic and irregular work schedule (Spectra raises hand) or are not a very patient person (Spectra raises other hand) then a dog is probably not the best pet for you. 


But that doesn't mean that you can't care about dogs and help them in other ways. Volunteer at a shelter (it would have to be a no-kill shelter in my case or I couldn't handle it), foster, adopt, or just spread the word about animals in need on your Facebook profile. Or create a sharing page on Facebook, or tweet links about animals in need on Twitter.

This post about dogs has been brought to you by the letter D and by the Animal Anarchy crew.

~Spectra~

Comments

Gwen Gardner said…
A very cute post and great advice. Can you really get a fed dispenser that big? Cuz I want one, lol!
mshatch said…
My dog would love a milk bone dispenser - only it would be empty in a matter of seconds!
Donna Sexton said…
Wonderful post! I couldn't say it better myself.

Donna at Donna's New Day