Tiger Tom Adopted after Five Year Wait

Tiger Tom lived at the Wildrun Rescue in Spencer, NY for five years before finally being adopted! It just goes to show that well run rescues (there are many--rescues have gotten a bad name from the few dreadful ones that have made the news) and fostering make a real difference. There is no excuse to be putting healthy, adoptable animals down. 
Kittens and puppies are great, but older animals can be the better choice in some situations. My own son adopted a one year old cat who had been a stray as well as a great six year old cat whose previous owners seemed to want a decoration rather than a companion. 
Giorgio's former human family had him declawed and then ended up bringing him to the shelter because he "didn't get along" with their new cat. This cat is so sedate that I can't imagine he did more than a little hissing and spitting. He felt threatened.
Only once did I ever have to re-home one of my cats because one cat who had been there longer was absolutely horrible to her and made her life hell, and there was no signs that it would stop. Trinity was absolutely vile to Anna and Anna was so terrified that she hardly ever came out from under the couch. It went on for months. However, I still see Anna. She lives with my son's dad, and is plump, spoiled, and much more relaxed. It would have been much harder for me to give her to someone I didn't know.
I wish I could re-home my dachshunds with someone that I knew so I could get updates on them and still be involved with their lives. I am often gone for a day or two at a time and I am really not much of a "dog person." although I like dogs well enough. I tend to be a bit chaotic and disorganized. Plus, if I fall into a bad depression, it's hard for me to keep up with the necessary schedule that a dog needs and I don't think I give them nearly the attention that they crave. If I could find a good person to take them who would keep me in the loop, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I can't resign myself to taking them to a shelter or rescue where I'll never see them again.
Please be sure that you really are prepared to care for an animal before bringing one into your home. I didn't do the research before I adopted the dachshunds. If I had, I never would have done so. But I was untreated bipolar at the time and acted impulsively instead of educating myself.
To get back to the topic (straying from one topic to another to another to another is another charming trait of being bipolar) I am thrilled that Tiger Tom was adopted! He is truly an illustration of what can be done when people care enough to do the right thing.

Comments