Feral Cats



This is a response to a post on Divine Caroline
We had a large feral cat population in my neighborhood. There is a group that runs a capture/spay-neuter/release program. The feral cat population has declined because of their efforts.
Two (possibly three) of my cats are offspring of the feral population that was here when I moved in. One of my former neighbors took in a pregnant cat. We were only going to take one but my son felt sad for the little runty guy who it seemed would have trouble finding a home, so we took both him and his brother. They are both gigantic now.
A few years back I was "adopted" by a little Calico cat who was dumped because her owners thought she was pregnant. She wasn't--she is one of those cats that gets false pregnancies when she goes into heat. We have since had her spayed so she doesn't have to worry about that any more. I think she's got it better here than with owners that were too irresponsible to spay her and then punished her for apparently becoming pregnant.

Comments

Tom & Icy said…
There's a small solid black cat that has adopted us. I put it outside, then after I close the door and turn around, there it is standing in the kitchen looking at me, reminding me of the deja vu cat in the Matrix. It must have found a vent hole into the basement. It is the friendliest cat that has ever come around. So I just accepted it and let it stay.