Dumb Dog!
























As I was driving to work, some of the snow I'd neglected to brush off the hood of my car fell down onto the bumper and was occluding the headlight. I was passing through a dark area, so I pulled off onto a side street to brush it away. As I was turning around to come back, this large Saint Bernard mix meandered out in front of the car and proceeded to stare me down, a la Cujo. No, not my little Dachshund. Who is far less threatening and wags things down rather than staring them down.



This isn't Cujo, but it looks a lot like him and the guy who took the picture is a better photographer than I am!
At any rate, I thought I was going to hit this damn fool dog, because when I put on the brakes I hit ice and was sliding right towards the dog. Great, I thought. I'm going to be late to work and I'm going to have to explain to the dog's owner that I killed their dog because it wouldn't get out of the way and I hit ice and couldn't stop. Just the joy I needed!
Luckily I managed to pull the wheel far enough to the side to avoid the beast, which I hope proceeded to get out of the damn road.
I hope that most Saint Bernards are smarter than this one seemed to be!

Comments

Tom & Icy said…
Icy used to meander into the street and stare at oncoming cars until one finally hit her, but it was slowing down and nearly stopped, but it still knocked her down. Now, she will stand several feet from the curb and wait for me to tell her to "cross the street" and then she will run like hell to the other side.
Yikes! I'm glad she was ok.
One of my childhood neighbors had a cat that would lie out in the street. I'm shocked that he never got hit. He lived to be eighteen years old. Some animals must have charmed lives!