Ornery Photography: Scenes from Another Life
The following are pictures taken at the Denver Aquarium. My son and I went there for lunch on 7 May 2017, the day before his 27th birthday, for a mutual birthday/mothers day celebration.
My son hates it when people make a big deal about his birthday, which my mother tends to do. He honestly kind of prefers that people eff off and not mention his birthday, but he was amenable to a quiet lunch, no fuss, being surrounded by fishes while having a pint and sharing a seafood platter. The portions are huge. We just get the appetizer platter and split it.
It's likely that there will be people who think that my son's response to birthdays is "strange," so I would like to provide a little education. People on the autism spectrum tend to become overstimulated by the hoopla surrounding events such as birthdays.
People meeting my son are not aware that he's autistic. He responds normally in social situations. He controls his responses to being overstimulated very well in public but tends to withdraw for a time after the event is over. This disrupts his routine, and he doesn't like it when that happens.
Unfortunately, when my son was young, I mistook some of what I now know to be the responses of someone on the autism spectrum to be behaviors that required (mild) scolding. In the 1990s, most people, including medical professionals, thought that autism always presented with extreme behaviors in response to stimuli and that all autistic people have limited verbal responses. We know a lot more now, but autism is still very misunderstood.
Thus, when someone dislikes birthday and other celebrations, it may not be because they're a misanthrope. It may be because they find such occasions overstimulating. They may be autistic, they may have issues with anxiety, or both. Don't be too quick to judge.
Ornery Owl Hath Spoken
Free use image copyright Open Clipart Vectors on Pixabay
Copyright Information
The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)
Copyright 2020 by Cie the Ornery Old Lady
Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. LBRY’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on LBRY. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.
Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.
Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.
I am sharing the photo with these blog hops:
Not so Silent Sunday
Image Source:






Comments
Quiet, peaceful and beautiful.
I am not on the autism spectrum but we have found that shopping for groceries at the time when our supermarkets turn off the music and dim the lights is MUCH more pleasant. I am so glad that shops are now starting to do it as a matter of course, and can only imagine the difference it makes for those affected by over stimulation.
The aquarium looks like a great place for a birthday treat. It is a fun place to have lunch and to see all the sea creatures. I am never one to judge another person, everyone should be treated with equally and with respect. I loved the photos series, great shots from the aquarium. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!